Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pamela Belle

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri August 7th, 2009, 10:23 pm

I read the Civil War ones as a teenager, don't remember much except I enjoyed them. I borrowed them from an aunt who was a fan of HF, have now inherited the copies from her so they're up in the loft but I haven't re-read them.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri August 7th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Here's the US cover of Alethea. Don't judge the book, etc.

This'll undoubtedly be the edition you'll get from the library, Misfit. It does need to be read last since there's a family tree in the beginning that gives away some of the plotline from the first two books. The offer's still open, to anyone (in the US, sorry, it's quite large/heavy) who wants my 2nd copy. It's cheap enough on Amazon, but I don't need two copies of it hanging around.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 7th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Oh my, that cover is something. Those late 70's early 80's covers can really scare a reader away these days, can't they? I really cannot wait to get cracking at these books.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 16th, 2009, 11:42 pm

I'm less than 100 pages from finishing The Moon in the Water and I am just loving it, although (argh!!) the earliest possible day I will have my hands on the next in the trilogy is Tuesday. I'm guessing it's going to end on a heck of a cliff hanger leaving me biting my nails until then.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun August 16th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Perhaps Pam ought to submit to Sourcebooks. They seem ready to take a chance and they're publishing Susan Kay's Legacy. I don't know if they have any authors in strength for this period.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Mon August 17th, 2009, 12:23 am

I agree, EC, they've done really well with reprints of historical romantic sagas and this would be an excellent series to reissue. Judith James's upcoming Highland Rebel is also 17th c, though a genre romance rather than an epic saga. Plus there's Heyer's Royal Escape.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 17th, 2009, 1:38 am

[quote=""EC2""]Perhaps Pam ought to submit to Sourcebooks. They seem ready to take a chance and they're publishing Susan Kay's Legacy. I don't know if they have any authors in strength for this period.[/quote]

I stirred up a bit of interest over at Goodreads with some of my friends (who are waiting for me to be the lab rat as it were), and they are interested in reading them as well.

I'll do my darndest to promote them here and at Goodreads (and there is some interest already there). These really do need another shot in life - and Sourcebooks might be the answer.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Alethea

Post by Misfit » Tue September 1st, 2009, 11:57 am

I have to share this. Brief set up, our heroine Alethea is living in London and working as a painter. She catches the eye of John Wilmont Earl of Rochester (one of those notorious bad boys who do nothing but drink and play). She's entertaining them for dinner and her overbearing pompous uncle arrives unexpectedly from the country. As they're trying to be serious, Wilmont's pet monkey runs lose and we get this in front of the uncle,
"The monkey shrieked rudely back and began, with intense concentration, an obscene ritual of intimate hygiene."
The uncle's reaction? Priceless.
Last edited by Misfit on Tue September 1st, 2009, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue September 1st, 2009, 12:17 pm

I am not sure what my own reaction would be to that kind of thing! :eek:
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 1st, 2009, 2:16 pm

I was howling. I wonder who's Teaser Tuesday blog I should share this with. Hmmmm.

Return to “By Author”