Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pamela Belle

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 5:16 pm

Found a painting of John Wilmot Earl of Rochester and his pet monkey who play a big part in Alethea's life,

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 6:03 pm

Wilmot was a fascinating figure- he was typical of the courtiers of the Restoration who combined a debauched lifestyle with intellectual pursuits and patronage of the arts. Their delight was to cock a snook at conventional society, a reaction to years of Puritan repression.

There a biography of Wilmot which is worth a read:
"A profane wit: the life of John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester" by James William Johnson

Johnny Depp played him in the movie "The Libertine"
Last edited by annis on Thu September 3rd, 2009, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 6:11 pm

I had to do a bit of reading up on him once I got into Alethea. He and his merry "wits" were a lot of fun in the book. The author's notes say that the poetry and a letter she used in the book were actually written by Wilmot.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 3rd, 2009, 1:39 pm

I just finished the last of the Wintercombe quartet. While the last two weren't quite five star reads, they were all very good and educational as well. I didn't know much about James II's rule and overthrow by William of Orange. A really nice touch was bringing in the Heron family from Moon in the Water trilogy. A big thumbs up and I'm sorry I'm now out of Belle books to read.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: Pamela Belle

Post by Misfit » Fri July 15th, 2016, 12:44 pm

Look who is getting digitalized!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_ ... evancerank

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri July 15th, 2016, 3:23 pm

I've yet to sample one of her books--but if she's on Kindle, I'll give her a try!
Ebooks have made reading so much easier. :D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 15th, 2016, 10:16 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:I've yet to sample one of her books--but if she's on Kindle, I'll give her a try!
Ebooks have made reading so much easier. :D
I really enjoyed them, a good blend of history with strong romantic elements.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat July 16th, 2016, 3:19 pm

Interesting pricing here in the UK if you are not a Kindle Unlimited subscriber. I bought these all for 1p (plus £2.80 postage). It is always an issue for me whether I buy the Kindle version or get secondhand and that decision is largely determined by the price except with non-fiction in which case I always prefer hard copy unless I need it urgently (and that will continue to be the case until Amazon books all come with real page numbers). Many are still available for 1p but with only 10p difference between the two, in this case the I think the Kindle version would win. However, I only liked the first two (Heron) novels as I found the characters in the others rather one dimensional, the history lacking the nuance necessary for this most complicated period of English/British history and as for the villans!!!. Alathea was also OK but rambling. The others were not to my taste.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “By Author”