Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

James Clavell

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

James Clavell

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat June 20th, 2009, 9:09 pm

I couldnt find a clavell thread (i might have missed it)

anyway, Ive read a few of his books.

Shogun
Tai pan
King Rat
Gai jin
noble house

I enjoyed them all (noble house was eh) and its clear clavell had a real love for his suject matter.

surprisingly, my favourite was King rat. this one is set in 1945 at the infamous japanese POW camp Changi, in singapore i believe. it was the only one that Clavell drew on direct personal experience as he had been a prisoner there. so it feels qiute autobiographical. its a great piece about the breakdown of command and how some use their personal charisma to rise to the top. Clavell is very fair in his judgements of peoples actions during these types of situations. overall i liked the character of "the King", kind of the American godfather of the prison camp.

anyone got opinions on this novel or clavells others?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat June 20th, 2009, 9:30 pm

It's been a good 20 years but I've read Sho Gun, King Rat and I think Noble House. Enjoyed them a great deal.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Sat June 20th, 2009, 9:44 pm

After years of urging by both my daughter and my brother, I finally read Tai Pan this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Noble House is on the TBR shelf.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat June 20th, 2009, 10:07 pm

I've read Tai Pan, Noble House (share your 'eh; on that one) and Shogun. The latter made it to my top 10 list, I loved the way Clavell handled the culture clash.
I have yet to read King Rat, altho I own it.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun June 21st, 2009, 1:55 am

I've read all of James Clavell's novels. My favourites are definitely "Shogun" and "King Rat", though the thought of the "Shogun" movie starring Richard Chamberlain still brings a shudder!

"King Rat" is quite different, but a powerful story, one which has some elements in common with J M Barrie's "Admirable Crichton" I felt pity for the "King" when the camp was liberated at the end. Men who had needed him now regarded him with disdain, and he became suddenly diminished, like a deflated balloon.
Last edited by annis on Sun June 21st, 2009, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun June 21st, 2009, 6:05 pm

i shouldve guessed youd read them all, annis :-)

yeah, trying to avoid spoilers, but the ending to "King Rat" was very powerful.

"Noble house" to me just seemed an attempt to try to tie all of the different stories together, when, t be honest, there was absolutely no need to do so.

oh and i forgot about his great childrens fantasy story "thrump-o-moto"
Last edited by Kveto from Prague on Sun June 21st, 2009, 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: brain fart

love_uk
Reader

Post by love_uk » Mon August 31st, 2009, 5:35 am

I'm with you, Keny - Shogun & King Rat are his best. Can barely remember the plots of the others!
Joan

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon August 31st, 2009, 12:09 pm

[quote=""love_uk""]I'm with you, Keny - Shogun & King Rat are his best. Can barely remember the plots of the others![/quote]

king rat is one of those rare books ive already read but wish i owned. but i rarely buy books ive already read, there are too many others to read.

yeah, as his carreer got on, clavell became somewhat obsessed with tying all of the stories together. it really felt forced often at the expense of plot.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon August 31st, 2009, 2:21 pm

[quote=""annis""]I've read all of James Clavell's novels. My favourites are definitely "Shogun" and "King Rat", though the thought of the "Shogun" movie starring Richard Chamberlain still brings a shudder!

"King Rat" is quite different, but a powerful story, one which has some elements in common with J M Barrie's "Admirable Crichton" I felt pity for the "King" when the camp was liberated at the end. Men who had needed him now regarded him with disdain, and he became suddenly diminished, like a deflated balloon.[/quote]

Agree regarding Chamberlain. When I read "Shogun" I imagined someone more like Oliver Reed as the MC.

C'est la cinema.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon August 31st, 2009, 7:58 pm

[quote=""donroc""]Agree regarding Chamberlain. When I read "Shogun" I imagined someone more like Oliver Reed as the MC.

C'est la cinema.[/quote]

ive never seen the film but you arent the first person to mention the miscasting. ill try to avoid it.

Return to “By Author”