Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mary Stewart

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed July 27th, 2011, 5:04 pm

I liked Gabriel Hounds a lot. I need to get more of her books out from the library one of these days.
Last edited by Misfit on Thu July 28th, 2011, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed July 27th, 2011, 10:37 pm

I was reading through some of the reviews for one of her books on Amazon, and there were comments that some (many? most?) of her books were revised when they were issued in the American market. For instance, in The Gabriel Hounds in the original British edition Christabel and Charles were first cousins; for the American market they were made second cousins. Some other changes were to make them less "British" (and I guess more understandable for American readers).

Someone commented that The Ivy Tree, in particular, had revisions to "clean it up." Since I haven't read that one, I don't know what the commenter was hinting at. I could post the question, I guess, but I thought someone here might know. I'm just very curious......

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed July 27th, 2011, 11:30 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I was reading through some of the reviews for one of her books on Amazon, and there were comments that some (many? most?) of her books were revised when they were issued in the American market. For instance, in The Gabriel Hounds in the original British edition Christabel and Charles were first cousins; for the American market they were made second cousins. Some other changes were to make them less "British" (and I guess more understandable for American readers).

Someone commented that The Ivy Tree, in particular, had revisions to "clean it up." Since I haven't read that one, I don't know what the commenter was hinting at. I could post the question, I guess, but I thought someone here might know. I'm just very curious......[/quote]

Oh, that makes sense now. I got slapped by a snark on my Amazon UK review for calling them second cousins when they were first cousins.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed July 27th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Apparently the publishers figured having a romantic link between first cousins wouldn't go over too well in the US.

I'm curious as to what got "cleaned up" in The Ivy Tree. Guess I'll have to read the book and see if I can figure it out.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 28th, 2011, 12:27 am

[quote=""Michy""]Apparently the publishers figured having a romantic link between first cousins wouldn't go over too well in the US.

I'm curious as to what got "cleaned up" in The Ivy Tree. Guess I'll have to read the book and see if I can figure it out.[/quote]

One of the comments had said the fathers were identical twins, so that would be some pretty close first cousins.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu July 28th, 2011, 8:40 am

You can marry your first cousin in the UK but it's not thought the best thing to do! You only have to think of royalty.........
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 28th, 2011, 8:45 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]You can marry your first cousin in the UK but it's not thought the best thing to do! You only have to think of royalty.........[/quote]

Lol. At least where I've lived in the US first cousins are more like siblings and it would be rather unusual to see them marry. I'm not surprised they'd change something like that to make it more palatable to the US market.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu July 28th, 2011, 10:13 am

No, I couldn't even think of marrying my first cousins as I am very close to them (in a family way!). :eek:
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu July 28th, 2011, 8:28 pm

I did have a "crush" on one of my cousins when I was a young girl, and I loved hanging around my slightly-older male cousins during my teens. But as to marrying any of them? Ugh, no. None of them have aged well. ;)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu July 28th, 2011, 9:53 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]One of the comments had said the fathers were identical twins, so that would be some pretty close first cousins.[/quote]

Their fathers were definitely twins in the version I read. It also seemed that they had been brought up fairly closely as children and they looked fairly similar too.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “By Author”