Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Columbia by Pamela Jekel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Columbia by Pamela Jekel

Post by Misfit » Sat April 30th, 2011, 4:30 pm

The Columbia River begins its journey in the mountains of British Columbia and travels over 1,200 miles before it empties into the Pacific ocean. Jekel gives the reader a closer look at the river’s history, from its very beginnings as the upheaval of the earth literally cut a new path through the Cascade range and sent the river west towards the ocean, to the time when it ran free and thick with salmon, and then to the present when its energy is harnessed to provide electricity and the nature of the river forever changed.

The book is broken up into several sections, with a jump of a generation between them, but all tying back to Chinook princess and shaman Ilchee, who as a young girl traveled alone into the mountains where she met “the raven” who spoke to her of the river’s future,
“And Raven told her that the river would be tamed like a dog, the people would die, the land will float, and the red fish will come no more.”
The ships begin arriving as well as the Hudson’s Bay Company who builds forts at Astoria and Vancouver. The River people are eager to trade, but get more than they bargained for when they succumb to the diseases that also come with the white men. In the next section, the wagon trains begin arriving from the east and Suzanna and her father rest from the journey at the Whitman Mission (I think you all know what happened there). 1870 sees the arrival of the Chinese who come to work the canneries, and in 1880 the logging industry booms and Ilchee’s grandson reaps its rewards, but will they listen to the old woman and heed her warnings so that the land may be saved for future generations?
“…we could set out seedlings. That’d give ‘em an even better chance. And then a hundred years from now, there’d still be big timber on these hills.”
The very last section begins in 1915 and is aptly titled The River Movers, as modern man sees the potential in the river for generating electricity and begins building the dams that will forever change the landscape, as well as the livelihood of its native people,
“Where once a set of rapids and falls had carved out the stones, leaping and thrashing waters around huge boulders, now a placid pool was rising.”
Since this book isn’t heavy on plot or pacing, it might not appeal to all readers, but should interest those with a love of the Columbia and an interest in the area and its history – but be warned if you are coming into this cold with no knowledge of the towns and the locations you’ll feel a bit lost – find yourself a good reference map and use it. I liked how the author used Ilchee and the subsequent generations, finally bringing them full circle with their long-forgotten Indian heritage and ties to the river. 4/5 stars.
The Grand Coulee Dam is in Eastern Washington, where the landscape is just a tad bit dryer than the west. My favorite section of the Columbia to visit is just east of Portland, Oregon. An easy road trip (don’t miss all sections of the Historic Highway), and the hiking opportunities amidst the waterfalls are plentiful with choices from easy to very strenuous. Eagle Creek is tops, but very popular so get there early. Later in the day and you’ll be reminded of the Costco parking lot at Christmas time .Jekel has written several historical novels, including one about the Navajo in Arizona and at least two set in the deep South.

I've attached some photos I've taken during my trips to the area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat April 30th, 2011, 4:37 pm

I got maxed out on images to attach. A couple more ;)

The last one is what I found after hiking to the top of Multnomah falls, behind the waterfall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat April 30th, 2011, 6:35 pm

Looks absolutely beautiful, Misfit.

Chris Little
Reader

Post by Chris Little » Sun May 1st, 2011, 4:29 pm

Hi, Misfit,

Does Jekel mention the Bretz Floods? Having grown up near Troutdale, on the west end of the Gorge. I try to visualze First Americans experiences / mythology about that series of great floods. Imagine having the 400 foot walls of water flooding the region every few generations for a couple thousand years, containing boulder filled ice rafts. (Among my most precious early memories are watching the salmon fishing in the pre-dam days at Celilo.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 1st, 2011, 4:59 pm

[quote=""Chris Little""]Hi, Misfit,

Does Jekel mention the Bretz Floods? Having grown up near Troutdale, on the west end of the Gorge. I try to visualze First Americans experiences / mythology about that series of great floods. Imagine having the 400 foot walls of water flooding the region every few generations for a couple thousand years, containing boulder filled ice rafts. (Among my most precious early memories are watching the salmon fishing in the pre-dam days at Celilo.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods[/quote]

Hi Chris, I don't recall a mention of them and I'd never heard of them either. The whole *mix* of the river and the gorge there is just fascinating. The waterfalls formed from the cut through the mountains. The wind chunneling through the gorge (let alone the ice storms you lot get there). I wish I'd been able to see it before it was dammed up. Must have been quite something to see.

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”