Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Fiction Agents/Publishers

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
dgaughran
Scribbler

Historical Fiction Agents/Publishers

Post by dgaughran » Thu January 7th, 2010, 10:09 am

Hi all,

There was a great thread on here a year or two ago which mentioned some agents and publishers that were currently actively seeking historical fiction. It was really, really useful

I have now finished my final edit and I am looking for an agent. Does anyone know who in particular is really looking for historical fiction now?

Does anyone know if there are any agents or publishers looking for something set in south america?

Thanks

Dave
A STORM HITS VALPARAISO - Historical novel set in 1800s South America. Read first chapter at: http://www.davidgaughran.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri January 8th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Hi Dave,

Personally, I would start my search for agents versus publishers, since most publishers don't accept unagented submissions. There are many, many agents out there looking for historical fiction. It really depends on what kind of HF you write. My best advice is to join Publishers Marketplace and see which agents are actively selling and repping HF.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri January 8th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Another approach would be to read some recently published (probably within the last 5 years or so), successful novels that resemble yours and check the acknowledgements sections to see who the authors' agents are, then approach those agents.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Fri January 8th, 2010, 11:41 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]Another approach would be to read some recently published (probably within the last 5 years or so), successful novels that resemble yours and check the acknowledgements sections to see who the authors' agents are, then approach those agents.[/quote]

That is true and can definitely be a great approach. I know some agents, though, will not accept new books that would be seen to "compete" with their existing authors work. Not always, of course, but it does happen if books are too similar.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Post by N. Gemini Sasson » Sat January 9th, 2010, 3:10 pm

[quote=""Anna Elliott""]That is true and can definitely be a great approach. I know some agents, though, will not accept new books that would be seen to "compete" with their existing authors work. Not always, of course, but it does happen if books are too similar.[/quote]

The same often applies to publishers.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun January 10th, 2010, 11:37 am

[quote=""Anna Elliott""]That is true and can definitely be a great approach. I know some agents, though, will not accept new books that would be seen to "compete" with their existing authors work. Not always, of course, but it does happen if books are too similar.[/quote]

Mine will look at historical outside the period or genre of an existing client, but nothing too close for that very reason.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

dgaughran
Scribbler

Post by dgaughran » Sun January 10th, 2010, 12:01 pm

So...anyone know any agents who are actively seeking new authors writing historical fiction?
A STORM HITS VALPARAISO - Historical novel set in 1800s South America. Read first chapter at: http://www.davidgaughran.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun January 10th, 2010, 6:25 pm

David, there are a number of guidebooks where you can find this information. Writer's Digest publishes one. Jeff Hermann has one out. And there are websites you can go to that have this information. Writer's Digest has a website that is updated frequently - there is an annual fee to be a member, but I don't think it's very high. It takes a bit of work to comb through these sources and put together a list of agents who are actively looking for clients and who also represent historical fiction, but it's very worthwhile. You can then go on line and look at these agents' websites, see what other authors they (or their agency) represent, and get a sense of whether the work they represent is similar to yours. For example, your historical novel may have a literary flavor, a blood-and-guts adventure flavor, a romantic flavor, a touch of fantasy, etc. An agent who likes to represent fantasy might represent a historical fantasy novel even if s/he doesn't represent other types of historical novels. An agent who represents sensitive literary novels set in the nineteenth or early 20th centuries may not be interested in a medieval war story, etc.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

dgaughran
Scribbler

Post by dgaughran » Mon January 11th, 2010, 12:56 pm

Hi Margaret,

Your advice is sound, sorry I didn't mean to sound like a newbie who hadn't down any research. I have combed various guides similar to the ones that you mention and have spent a lot of time researching appropriate agents.

The kind of pointers that I was looking for were on this old thread:
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... .php?t=482

Some posters had heard that specific agents/editors were actively seeking various types of historical fiction and I was hoping to hear if anyone had some up to date news.

Regards

David
Last edited by dgaughran on Mon January 11th, 2010, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected link

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Tue January 12th, 2010, 7:53 pm

David, I feel your pain.

I've just received another rejection from an agent, despite having a publishing deal with a small publisher.

What I've found is that agents who don't handle historical fiction aren't interested in representing it, but the ones who already do don't want to take on another writer as they fear a conflict of interests.

It could be that my books are rubbish, but if that were true how would I have negotiated my own publishing contract? I am, in fact, offering these agents money for nothing and still they aren't interested.

I can't decide if they haven't actually read my letter or whether having the deal with the small publisher is actually working against me rather than for me.

I'm sorry to sound so negative, but it is very frustrating. I have three friends who are writers who have all found an agent without much trouble, but they all write modern 'chick lit' type books. I sometimes wonder if I've not only picked a genre which requires an inordinate amount of research, but one that is nigh on impossible to sell to a mainstream publisher as well.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Return to “The Writing Business”