Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Controversy over a title

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue March 27th, 2012, 1:30 pm

My first reaction was 'ewwww'. I'd be offended too. Tho it sounds like from your comments about the actual text of the book, you wanted to shake up your family, so use the title. It might be the least offensive thing about the book!

I dunno, my family has its secrets; if I was going to write an expose for the purpose of bringing things out in the open, I'd want it to be as painless as possible for the readers. But if you have other agendas about your family and wanted to add insult to injury, I'd go for it.

DanielAWillis
Reader

Post by DanielAWillis » Tue March 27th, 2012, 2:02 pm

[quote=""bevgray""]The other thing to consider is the style of the genealogy. If it is going to be humorous, then you might consider a more placid main title with your working title as a sub-title.

If the piece is more serious in nature, you don't want a title that is too "precious" or clever.

I agree that if the family is your target audience and most seem upset about it, you may want to reconsider. If it's just a vocal minority and you think the rest of the book will upset or annoy them, you may be sunk with that bunch anyway.

Have you contacted other family members with whom you are close to sound them out about it? Might give you a better sense of whether this really is a tempest in the clan or just a tweaking of a handful.[/quote]

The book is sort of divided between narrative and strict genealogical information. The narrative is meant to be an honest look at the family using what information is known and what I have been able to discover through research. I am quite candid about the areas where I am having to do some guesswork because of missing documentation. Because this type of text can quickly get very tedious and boring, I try to interject small doses of humor along the way. Besides, I am a wise-ass and could not keep the humor out if I wanted to.

So far it has been a small vocal minority who have expressed dislike of the title. Most of the relatives I have been contact with (especially the ones closest related to me) counldn't care less one way or the other. Some even like the pun angle.

What is so funny to me is that those who complain the most are offended that their name may be associated with a sewer. But the origin of the name means "one who lives next to the drain."

I have decided that if I change it the new title will be Legends, Half-Truths, and Cherished Myths of the Drane Family. Perhaps when I call our ancestors liars, my cousins may wish I stuck with the drain reference.
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed March 28th, 2012, 3:33 am

Perhaps I am more sensitive to the name pun because of the number of ways my maiden name was used and abused against me. I gleefully took my husbands name when we married. Lots less opportunities for punsters to do their work.

DanielAWillis
Reader

Post by DanielAWillis » Wed March 28th, 2012, 1:40 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Perhaps I am more sensitive to the name pun because of the number of ways my maiden name was used and abused against me. I gleefully took my husbands name when we married. Lots less opportunities for punsters to do their work.[/quote]

It may not be at the same level, but being a child in the 70s I get a lot of "whatcha talkin about Willis?" and "Book 'em, Dano." This last one, I got more as an adult because I was a travel agent for years and clients were referring to booking their tickets for airplanes or their hotels.
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Mon May 21st, 2012, 10:11 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Perhaps I am more sensitive to the name pun because of the number of ways my maiden name was used and abused against me. I gleefully took my husbands name when we married. Lots less opportunities for punsters to do their work.[/quote]

I used to work in a large office building. One day, I was on a floor I rarely visited, and there was a woman's name place thingy that made the 13 year old in me giggle.

Her name, hyphenated, was Cox-Ucher. I heard her answer her phone, and the Ucker part ryhmes with pucker.

I died laughing.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”