Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer

amyb
Reader

The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer

Post by amyb » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 9:28 pm

The Conqueror is one of six historical novels written by Georgette Heyer, who is best known for her Regency Romances, and if this is an indication of the other five - then sign me up!

Heyer brings us back to 11th Century Normandy and introduces us to William, Duke of Normandy, (a.k.a. William the Bastard) through the eyes of Raoul de Harcourt - a knight in Duke William's retinue.

Raoul began his service to the Duke as a young knight and he quickly rose to be one of William's most trusted friends. Loyalty is a running theme throughout the novel - loyalty from a knight to his lord. Raoul may not have agreed with a lot of the tactics used by William, but he trusted and respected his lord enough to comply. Don't get me wrong, Raoul was no pushover - he voiced his opinions when it was warranted, but in the end he knew his role and played the part.

Duke William was a very intriguing man - ambitious would be putting it lightly. He valued brain over braun and cunning over might. Once he saw something he wanted, he got it. Doesn't matter how, but he got it. Which leads me into a great scene with William and his future wife, Mathilda....but I'll leave that for you to read! Let's just say it's not a good idea to call William a bastard!

One aspect of why I love historical fiction is the educational factor. I know I'm a total dork, but it's true - I've learned so much history through all the historical fiction novels I have read. I take some of it with a grain of salt cause it's historical fiction after all, but for the most part I know a lot more than I did a few years ago. While reading The Conqueror I learned a great deal more about the difference between an Englishman (or Saxon) and a Norman and the Battle of Hastings scene was not put-down-able!

I enthusiastically recommend this novel! Heyer's writing is impeccable and her research is without a doubt one of the best. Character development is awesome and dialogue excellent. The Conqueror keeps you enthralled during and wanting more when you're done...which is how every good book should be!

Amy says: 5 / 5

Soundtrack: Conquest by Whitestripes

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 9:34 pm

I had the hardest time with this one and finally gave up, it was too dry for me although I do admit to being in a book slump at the time. Something in the dialogue bugged me, but I'll have to try again.

Isn't it great to pick up books like this and learn at the same time you're enjoying a good story?

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 9:41 pm

I remember you saying that you thought it was dry, but I didn't see that. I readily admit that it didn't have quite the passion that Penman could've brought to it, but it was a great read.

I've had those slumps before - I picked up Through A Glass Darkly at one time and couldn't stand it, but picked it up months later and it's one of my favorites now. Weird how that happens!

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 9:48 pm

I was sent this one by the publisher. I really need to get cracking on it, because it does sound good!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 9:52 pm

I'd like to see what you think boswell!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 9:59 pm

[quote=""amyb""]I remember you saying that you thought it was dry, but I didn't see that. I readily admit that it didn't have quite the passion that Penman could've brought to it, but it was a great read.

I've had those slumps before - I picked up Through A Glass Darkly at one time and couldn't stand it, but picked it up months later and it's one of my favorites now. Weird how that happens![/quote]

William is a fascinating character. He was scary as h*** in Hollick's Harold the King. You might look at Anand's Gildenford trilogy (if you can find them), he's prominent in the last one The Disputed Crown.

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 10:06 pm

I have Hollick's and the Gildenford trilogy on my wish list. Thankfully, they are re-releaseing Harold the King next year...but it may be a while before I get my grubby hands on the trilogy!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 10:21 pm

I just picked up the first of her Bridges Over Time series that deals with some of the same period. One of William's knights is sold into slavery after the slaughter at Gildenford, it's called The Proud Villein. Apparently she has her characters worked in with The Harrying of the North, scary stuff.

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 10:25 pm

Maybe they'll republish her novels one day...one can dream!

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu December 4th, 2008, 12:13 am

I've been meaning to read this for a while. I'll have to get it now!

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”