Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wanderers Eastward, Wanderers West by Kathleen Winsor

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Wanderers Eastward, Wanderers West by Kathleen Winsor

Post by Misfit » Sat May 16th, 2009, 2:43 pm

"And so, rather than make apologies for the devastation they had accomplished so far they deprecated it". And you're not going to know what that quote means until the very end of this door-stopper sized book! This one starts in 1861 and tells the parallel tales of Matt Devlin as he begins to carve a new life in Montana, along with that of his brother-in-law Joshua Ching in New York as he winds his way to great fortune through the manipulation and financial downfall of others. Matt, his brother Pete and their partners and eventually his sons are involved in the early days of mining the Montana Rockies, first gold then silver and finally digging to the depths of the inner mountains for the remaining treasure - copper. The early boom towns grow and die, although one town long thought dead begins to grow and change as does the landscape surrounding it - Butte.

On the other side of the country, Jason's wealth grows and he becomes one of New York's elite rich and marries his daughter Susan (Suky) into one of the "old" families short of cash. The story carries them through the financial disasters and depressions of the time, as well as intertwining with Matt's children with his. That's about as far as I care to go, beyond that I'd be writing a full length book report and you know I don't do that. Suffice it to say, this book is packed with plenty of extramarital affairs (but no bodice ripping, I promise), sneaky stock dealings, railroad barons, roaring mining towns, scandalous actresses and mistresses, the cigar smoking cussing Lily in her men's clothes all intertwined with Morgan Devlin as he reaches for the huge wealth buried in the mountain he must destroy to reach the copper inside it.

Although I wouldn't call this one an action packed, can't put it down until you know what happens next type of book, it was still entertaining for those like a big fat (and I do mean fat) book packed with plenty of history and intrigue and colorful characters. Just be warned, there are a lot of characters and the story switches back and forth quite a bit between Montana and New York so if you don't like a switching POV or if you're looking for a book with star-crossed lovers, a pure and saintly hero and heroine who get their HEA in the end, this isn't the book for you. For those of you who read and loved her more famous book, Forever Amber you might want to give this one a whirl. 4/5 stars.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”