Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ancient Mesopotamia/Sumer

Samantha_kathy

Ancient Mesopotamia/Sumer

Post by Samantha_kathy » Thu August 28th, 2008, 8:51 pm

I'm looking for historical fiction about ancient Mesopotamia and ancient Sumer. I know about Sam Barone's Eskkar Saga, and of course Gilgamesh the King. Do any of you know of any other books?

Samantha

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Thu August 28th, 2008, 11:02 pm

Have you tried Brad Geagley's Egyptian mystery series? His second novel in the series, Day of the False King, is set in Babylon.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Thu August 28th, 2008, 11:58 pm

Juanita Coulson's Dark Priestess is another. It's about 30 years old. The cover makes it look like a romance, but it really isn't.

Also Justin Allen's Slaves of the Shinar, which came out last year.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri August 29th, 2008, 7:50 am

Nicholas Guild's novel "The Assyrian" is a good read. There is a sequel "Blood Star", equally good, but for some reason very expensive to buy second-hand (both books are OP). Thank goodness for the inter-library loan system!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat August 30th, 2008, 12:08 am

Marek Halter has written several novels about Old Testament women. Sarah is the only one I have read (see review at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Sarah.html), but it was wonderfully atmospheric and was a "real" historical novel without the pious Bible story atmosphere of some novels that use this setting.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 4:36 am

I've read all three of those. The first one was good, the other two were pretty average though.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue October 28th, 2008, 6:54 am

I recently came across these two, so thought I'd add them to the list. I haven't read them myself, I don't know if anyone else has?

Elisabeth Roberts Craft

"In the Court of the Queen: a novel of Messopotamia"

"The Ambassador's Daughter: a novel of Ancient Mesopotamia"

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... ft&x=0&y=0
Last edited by annis on Tue October 28th, 2008, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed November 26th, 2008, 2:57 am

A novel by an author i've just been reminded of
Amin Maalouf "Gardens of Light".
Set in Mesopotamia, 3rd century AD, it's the story of Mani, founder of Mancheanism, a religious system known as the "Gospel of Light".

<Mani is born into a time of war — 3rd-century Mesopotamia. Despite being the son of a warrior, he becomes a painter, physician, mystic and prophet, preaching in the battlefields, a doctrine of humility, tolerance and love that becomes known as "Manicheanism".>

Manicheanism influenced Christianity at several points in time and one charge levelled against the Cathars during the Albigensian crusade was that they practised Manicheanism.
http://www.cathar.info/120401_manichaeans.htm

Shauna Roberts

forthcoming novel set in ancient Sumer

Post by Shauna Roberts » Sat March 21st, 2009, 12:30 am

I have a novel about Sumer in the time of Gilgamesh coming out in late 2009 or early 2010 from Hadley Rille Books, http://www.hadleyrillebooks.com/. Like Mayflies in a Stream is one of a new series of archaeology-related novels from Hadley Rille Books. Like Mayflies in a Stream is the story of a priestess of Inanna who tries to save the great city of Uruk from the overbearing rule of the arrogant king Gilgamesh.

Return to “Ancient”