Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Fiction Agents/Publishers

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue January 12th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Libby, that really is frustrating. I've read quite a number of blog posts on this subject, including one from agent Jessica Faust at Book Ends LLC.

Most agents who've blogged about this topic seem to feel that in order to take on a client who already has a deal in hand, they need to believe the author has a very long (and lucrative) career ahead of them. Small deals aren't worth it for them, since they'll have to spend just as much time on a client bringing in $5,000/year as they will a client who brings in $50,000.

This is not to say that you've made a small deal (I don't know) or that you don't have a long career ahead of you (I certainly hope you do!), I'm just paraphrasing what these various agents have written.

And David, I know that my new agent, Dan Lazar, is always looking for new clients, including writers of HF. I believe these agents are as well:

Anna Ghosh
Russ Galen
David Forrer
Kim Witherspoon
Nathan Bransford

I really can't recommended Publishers Marketplace highly enough as a resource for this kind of research. While it's definitely true that agents don't want something too similar to what a client of theirs is already producing, there's always room if a novel is spectacular (read fresh, marketable, and well-written) enough!
Last edited by michellemoran on Tue January 12th, 2010, 10:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed January 13th, 2010, 5:11 am

My agent Jennifer Weltz at Jean Naggar Literary Agency, Inc. is always open to historical fiction. You can learn more about her here.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

TonyHays
Reader

To echo Michelle ...

Post by TonyHays » Wed January 13th, 2010, 12:29 pm

Back in my youth, I briefly considered going to law school. One day, I was bemoaning how flooded the job market was with lawyers when my daddy brought me up short. "There's always room for one more," he said, "if you're good enough."

I think that advice is easily applicable to writing. Talent and persistence do pay off.

dgaughran
Scribbler

Post by dgaughran » Wed January 13th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Michelle & CW, thanks for the tips. After some query and ms revision I restarted querying last week and have several rejections already, but 3 requests for partials, so that's great.

I will research the agents you mentioned with an eye to querying them.

Thanks again,

Dave
A STORM HITS VALPARAISO - Historical novel set in 1800s South America. Read first chapter at: http://www.davidgaughran.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Sat January 16th, 2010, 2:23 am

Best of luck, Dave. :) Let us know how it goes.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

dgaughran
Scribbler

Post by dgaughran » Sat January 16th, 2010, 3:14 pm

Thanks I will do
A STORM HITS VALPARAISO - Historical novel set in 1800s South America. Read first chapter at: http://www.davidgaughran.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sat January 16th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Good luck, Dave!!!!!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Sat January 16th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Yes, good luck, Dave! We'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you and waiting to hear how it goes!

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Return to “The Writing Business”