Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Fiction set in the 1920s

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue January 13th, 2009, 7:54 pm

I really enjoyed The House at Riverton. I have Kate Morton's second novel, The Forgotten Garden, on my TBR pile. Her third, The Distant Hours, is due out in 2010 apparently.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue January 13th, 2009, 8:16 pm

The House at Riverton wasn't a bad read. I am looking forward to reading the follow up book, The Forgotten Garden.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Tue January 13th, 2009, 9:08 pm

I have The House at Riverton somewhere in the growing pile of books waiting to be read. I may move it nearer to the top.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed January 14th, 2009, 3:52 pm

A Woman of the World by Genie Chipps Henderson may interest you, Divia. Check out #3 on Leyland's Log for 2009 and also at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Woman-World-Genie ... 114&sr=1-1
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu January 15th, 2009, 3:17 am

[quote=""tsjmom""]Just saw a new release at the library called (?) 'The House at Riverton'. IIRC it takes place in England in the 20s and 30s in a grand estate with some romance and mystery thrown in. It looked interesting![/quote]

The House at Riverton is very, very good! I also recommend her follow-up, The Forgotten Garden, though it's not out in the US yet until Apirl.

There's also The Glimmer Palace, by Beatrice Colin. Not set during the 1920s, but leading up to it, and set in Berlin.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu January 15th, 2009, 3:18 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I really enjoyed The House at Riverton. I have Kate Morton's second novel, The Forgotten Garden, on my TBR pile. Her third, The Distant Hours, is due out in 2010 apparently.[/quote]

I'm glad to hear that she's in the process of writing/ publishing a third! May have to oder thi off Amazon UK, as the US is so slow to pick up her novels.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu January 15th, 2009, 3:49 am

[quote=""Leyland""]A Woman of the World by Genie Chipps Henderson may interest you, Divia. Check out #3 on Leyland's Log for 2009 and also at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Woman-World-Genie ... 114&sr=1-1[/quote]

that does look interesting. thanks :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Belili
Scribbler

Post by Belili » Fri January 16th, 2009, 1:11 am

[quote=""Leo62""]A Star Called Henry by Roddy Doyle (set in Ireland covering the period from the Easter Rising in 1916 to the early 20's)[/quote]

This book is great. Early 20th century Ireland is really interesting.

One of Tracy Chevalier's novels, Falling Angels, is partially set in the 1920's.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu August 20th, 2009, 11:12 pm

While I was visiting my old hometown, Denton, Texas, over the weekend, one of my old high school friends introduced me to a novel set in Denton in the 1920s that I had never heard of. Even better, it's really good! It's by Lee Martin, and it's titled Quakertown, after Denton's once-thriving black community. Quakertown was moved farther away from Denton's city center during the 1920s, an event the novel revolves around. I've reviewed it at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Quakertown.html.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “20th Century”